Jackson-Evers International Airport (JAN), is located about 5 miles east of the business district of Jackson, Mississippi. The airport services commercial, private, as well as military flights. In 2011, JAN was listed in the under-5 million passenger category as a “Worldwide Top Five Performing Airport’ by the Airport Council International.
In 1928, 151 acres of pasture land was purchased for $53,500 and in November of that year Davis Field, Jackson’s first airport, was dedicated. In 1963, the City of Jackson annexed land in Rankin County to build a new commercial and military airport and later that year construction began on Allen C. Thompson Field, Jackson Municipal Airport. In 1989, the US Customs Service designated Jackson Municipal as an international port of entry and the name of the airport was officially changed to Jackson International Airport. Later, to honor African American civil rights activist, Medgar Wiley Evers, the airport’s name was changed to Jackson-Evers International Airport.
Jackson International offers non-stop flights to nine cities daily provided by five different passenger carriers. Carriers include, American Eagle, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, US Airways, and Southwest Airlines.
The passenger terminal at Jackson-Evers has three levels with an East and West Concourse. Level 1 of the terminal is the baggage claim, airport rental car counters, and the ticketing counters. Level 2 is the departure level with security check points and access to the concourses. The East Concourse has gates 1-4 and the West Concourse has gates 15-19.
Airport parking at Jackson-Evers International includes a parking garage, a surface lot, a cell phone lot, and a long term parking lot. There are 6 rental car agencies that serve JAN as well as 4 Taxi companies, 7 limousine services, and 3 bus companies.